When it comes to following a healthy diet, it isn’t all about calories and restrictions. Of course, you can still eat your favorite foods, but why not add in some cool seasonal foods too? That’s always the best option when it comes to eating seasonally. So this fall consider adding these superfoods to your diet.
Fall is the perfect time to add more greens to your diet. There are many greens that are considered superfoods in the fall season, starting with turnip greens. If you haven’t tried them before, now is a great time. They are loaded with nutrients, like vitamin C and vitamin A, as well as a lot of vitamin K. You can also get calcium in turnip greens. Another green that is the king of the show in the fall is kale. Start making some kale salads or add it to your smoothies, and you will be getting lots of the same vitamins – A, C, and K. It also has an excellent amount of antioxidants.
In addition to greens, there are some other veggies that are in season during the fall. While you can be found year-round, getting them while “in season” means they will be more affordable and of a higher quality.
- Sweet Potatoes – Who doesn’t love a good sweet potato? You are probably used to enjoying these in the fall, where you get a slight sweetness with this complex carbohydrate. Make a healthier baked potato, slice it up into fries, or enjoy it mashed with some grass-fed butter.
- Cauliflower – Cauliflower is all the rage these days since it is not only a taste most people can get behind, but because it is a low-carb vegetable with a lot of versatility. It also happens to be in season during the fall.
- Brussels Sprouts – Brussels sprouts are also a fall superfood, and they contain some fantastic nutrients, including fiber, folate, vitamin C, vitamin K, and antioxidants.
- Pumpkin – Pumpkin is one of the most popular vegetables in the fall, and for a good reason. Not only is it delicious, but it can help increase your vitamin A and vitamin C.
Fall is also a great time to add fruits to your diet! Some of the best fruits you can eat are in season during the fall, including:
- Apples – Fall is the perfect time to start eating apples if you haven’t been already. They are more flavorful and often more affordable as an added bonus. Try to look for apples that are firm, and without bruises.
- Pomegranates – A source of fiber and antioxidants, plus provide a slightly tart and sweet flavor in the fall season.
- Pears – Another great type of fruit to enjoy in the fall season is the pear. Pears are sweet and very versatile. You can eat them on their own, dipped in peanut butter, or even on a sandwich or topped on waffles for breakfast.
Throughout this season, we’ll post new recipes containing these ingredients and more But before we go, do you have a favorite fall superfood not listed here? If so, feel free to share it in the comments below.